How SCR reduces NOx emissions
Our highly developed SCR complete NOx reduction systems are designed to the individual needs of our customers and meet all technical shipping requirements. With over 200 ships equipped with our SCR technology our experience with SCR Systems for marine applications is extensive and well documented.
SCR technology is a cost efficient proven system capable of meeting (and exceeding) the regulatory requirements set for marine diesel engines operating in ECAs.
SCR technology reduces the level of Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) with the use of a catalyst. It is compact, proven and is commonly used in land-based engines (eg heavy-duty vehicles, industrial plants and other applications). SCR technology can achieve over 99% NOx reduction in combustion processes.
NOx Reduction benefits of the NOxCare SCR system
Further benefits of reducing NOx emissions using the NOxCare SCR system:
- Type approved NOx analyzer is provided per engine, with continuous monitoring to control the cleaning efficiency of the catalyst and provide data for emission reporting.
- An emission reporting module in accordance with IMO's NOx Technical Code (NTC 2008) can also be supplied.
- The sensor is small, robust and easily replaceable. It can be installed directly on the stack, together with the analyzer, avoiding unnecessary use of excessive gas piping for sampling.
- Small units save installation space.
- Applicable to all vessel types.
- Compatible for both new builds and retrofits.
- The system is extremely robust.
- Small control units and NOx analyzers save installation space.
- The user friendly system ensures easy operation and maintenance.
- Service packages tailored according to customer needs.
- To save space the silencer can be integrated as part of the catalyst housing.
How Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) works in a maritime vessel
NOx is reduced using a catalyst together with NOxCare 40 Marine, a high purity urea solution.
Exhaust gas passes through the catalyst, where the NOx is converted into harmless Nitrogen and water
Over 99% NOx reduction can be achieved - approaching zero emissions of NOx
No increase in fuel consumption or CO2 emissions
NOxCare Marine - How SCR works
NOxCare SCR Marine:
- Is installed between the engine and the funnel (on some engines, typically large 2-stroke engines, it is installed before the turbocharger).
- Varies in size dependent on engine size and NOx reduction requirements.
- Can be tailored to match the layout of most engine rooms and casings.
- Can replace existing silencers on retrofits with specially designed integrated SCR/Silencer units to accommodate space restrictions.
- Requires the vessel to be fitted with tanks for storage of NOxCare 40 Marine urea solution.
NOxCare Marine is the only complete product offer which covers all your NOx reduction requirements through global availability of NOxCare SCR, NOxCare 40 urea solution and our global network of NOxCare Marine service engineers.
- Offers a cost efficient and effective alternative.
- Training ensures optimal operation performance.
- On-call experts will keep your system running smoothly.
- Results in lower operational costs.